Sunday, December 16, 2012

Continuing the Tradition, Part Two


We created many new traditions a couple of years ago in this post.  Last year I was a little preoccupied with being pregnant and not being able to find any of my baking materials in my teeny tiny rental kitchen so I didn't document too much.  We did do a gingerbread house, but it was from one of those kits from the store.  And after trying to recreate year one,  I found myself thinking to myself many times that the pre-made kit is the way to go.  It's almost as if in the back of my head I think it doesn't count if there isn't some sort of serious painful labor involved.  


Since two kids would be participating this time instead of just one, I decided there would be less strife if there were two separate gingerbread houses.  This was a good decision.  Luckily, Newbie O was happy to just enjoy the show.


The gingerbread itself is hard as a rock.  I even told them that if they wanted to eat it, they could.  Both of them did their very best to try but found it much easier to eat the royal icing and bowls full of candy.  And that's exactly what they did.  More of it made it into their mouths than onto the house itself.





The finished products were pretty amazing.  And don't think for a moment I haven't noticed that M & M's have been slowly disappearing from the gingerbread village.  Normally my first suspect would be Boy O, who is tall enough to reach the counter, but I did catch Baby O this morning with a mouth full of something.  Later I noticed the kitchen stool had been placed right below these colorful creations....unfortunately, he doesn't yet know how to fold it back up and put it back in the pantry to cover his tracks.  I guess he thought the payoff was worth it...


No comments:

Post a Comment